Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Today is the Day! October 8th @ 12:30PM

Today was such a bitter-sweet day! There is no other place that parents would like to have their 19 year old son than on a mission serving the Lord. But I am here to tell you that it is the hardest thing we have ever done. Thank goodness that this is our very last child to go out the door. We never want to experience that again! It was harder than heck saying bye to Clay. We are so proud of him and his decision to serve the Lord. I will take you through the day. First off this is Clay when he first woke up this morning. I expected him to sleep in alittle bit because he was up late talking to the twins and Wendy, but he must of been very exciting because he woke up around 8:00am.Taught him how to iron a shirt! Think I waited until the last minute to teach him some things! :) Oh well at least he did it and he did a great job. I told him his brother TJ can iron a shirt better than I can and so he had alot to live up to.After showering and getting ready he sat down on got onto his my space just one last time. He wrote something on his my space that told all his friends he wouldn't be on there for awhile.This is the room we stayed in at Little America in Salt Lake City, Utah. It was a really nice room kinda homey! It was hard coming back to the room and seeing Clay's bed and no Clay :(Clay and I were standing outside our hotel waiting for Van to bring the car around to load up all his luggage.

We went to breakfast before the MTC and Clay got to pick the place. I think he picked Denny's because that is where he and Wendy ate breakfast alot. We let him make all the decisions on where to eat.He made his mom alittle abstract figure out of the Denny's straw paper! Yep I will keep that forever!
We are at the MTC here. You pull up in front first and they help you unload your luggage. Then I stayed with Clay and dad went to park the car. You take your luggage to this holding spot. Clay's spot was 18. Clay's favorite number is 88 and alot of things with his mission have 8's in them. His spot to leave his luggage 18, his date he went into the MTC 10/08/2008, the date he is leaving the MTC 12/08/2008.Clay in front of the Wilford Woodruff Administration Building. This is the building that it all takes place in. This is before we went in and before he got his tag.Van and I with our favorite missionary! Thank goodness you can't see me up close because I think I had already lost most of my eye make-up by this time!
Ok this is a funny story. We were standing outside talking and taking pictures before we went in to get Clay's tag and there was this family that was standing by us. There dad said to Clay "Where are you going Elder" Clay said "Mexico" he said "Where in Mexico" Clay said "Torreon" he said "Meet your companion Elder". This family's son is going to Clay's same mission. So Clay shook his hand and of course I had to get a picture of them. Maybe they will be in the same district at the MTC. That would be really cool. I think it put Clay alittle more at ease meeting someone that was in his same mission before he even went in.
This is when we went inside the building, Clay went in one door to get his badge and meal ticket and Van and I went into another door and met him in there. This is Clay talking to the nice lady. The workers (over 800) are so nice. They were always saying welcome Elder, smile Elder, were proud of you Elder. It was unbelievable.I know I know I don't look very happy. Because first of all when he first showed me his badge I started crying. Just to see Elder Larson on that badge made me so proud of him. I don't look happy because I am crying. Although I am thrilled to pieces it doesn't look like that. You know it's the bitter-sweet thing.Look at my two handsome boys. They both look pretty nervous. Van keep saying that he was so nervous for Clay. He was jealous because he remembers how awesome it was to go on his mission but he said he remembers going in and how nervous he was!
Clay with a picture of Christ. This is before we walked down to the room where you say goodbye!

Our Missionary!!!

6 comments:

Clayton and Niki said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the posts mom. You're doing so good at keeping on top of all this stuff. You're going to be so glad later on when you have details of exactly what it was like. I wish we could have all been there with him to see all of that. I would have died to see him with his tag on...I guess pictures are the next best thing. Man, that brother of mine is handsome, isn't he? Be strong, love you.

Clayton and Niki said...

Was that a picture of Clay in his G's??? hahahaha

RonJohn said...

great post aunt rhonda, it feels weird to have clay all grown up. noah was doing something the other day that reminded me of clay on the disneyland video, and it made me realize that i am going to be in your shoes someday soon, (hopefully). you have done a great job with clay, he is a great kid. love ya

Dawney & Gene said...

He already looks like an awesome missionary!!
-Dawney

Mauzy Fam said...

I'm so glad you've posted every detail!! It's so fun to see it all happen through your eyes! Does Clay know you put that picture of him in his G's on there??? I'm not sure you cropped enough when you were taking it - ha ha....Love you!!

The Wolslagels said...

Hey Rhonda, it's Wendy. Thanks for the blog comment! I decided I should let all of you guys see how the last day went since you all did. :) There are a few more pictures of the day that I could show you sometime if you wanted. But yes! I saw all of your posts. I checked everyday while you were gone so I could see what you all were up to. I'm so glad you put up all the pictures!! Clay is so handsome. :) Well I am at work right now (naughty me), but I will call you when I get off!